In search of imprints of Buddhism: Perunjeri

1940
Mayilai Seeni Venkatasamy (1940), C.Minakshi (1979), T.N.Vasudeva Rao (1979) and K.Sivaramalingam (1997) have discussed about the Buddha at Perunjeri in Nagapattinam district of Tamil Nadu. French Institute of Pondicherry has the photograph of this Buddha in its collections. There is also reference about this Buddha in Tamil Nattu Varalaru: Chola Peruvendar Kalam (900-1300 AD), Part II, (1998). Difference could be noticed while finding a new Buddha and while documenting the Buddha which was found earlier by other scholars. But the interest which prevails while seeing the Buddha at the very first time would be boundless, which I feel happy to share with one and all. Now, over to Perunjeri.

1993
In 1993, after registering for M.Phil., under the title Buddhism in Tamil Nadu with special reference to Thanjavur District I was informed by historian Dr. Kudavayil Balasubramanian, that there was a Buddha temple called as Rishi Temple in Perunjeri near Mayiladuthurai in Tamil Nadu. 

May 1995
While carrying out field work in and around Poompuhar alongwith my friend Dr. Balachandran, in order to utilise the time I went to Perunjeri. As I was not in possession of relevant materials, we went to Vahiswarar Temple. The priest of the Siva temple Mr. Abadnatha Sahaya Kurukkal evinced much interest on my research and enquired about it. He said that there was not any Buddha in the temple or nearby. He also confirmed that there were not any remnants of Buddha temple. We cut short our visit and returned.

October 1998
Dr. Kudavayil Balasubramanian gave me the information pertaining about the Buddha temple of Perunjeri from the book entitled Census of India 1961, Tamil Nadu, Temples of Tamil Nadu  (Director of Census Operations, Tamil Nadu & Pondicherry, 1971).
Buddha Temple know as Rishi Temple (1971)
Photo: Census of India 1961






























































The photograph impacted me much and I wanted to see the temple. As my son Bharath, who was studying VIII Std then, wished to accompany me, I took him with me for the field study. Actually I planned go to Perunjeri from Thanjavur. But on reaching Kumbakonam I thought of the inscription of Kumbakonam, resulting in our going to Ilanthurai.  Later we started to Mayiladuthurai so as to go to Perunjeri .
I
Buddha in Perunjeri Temple (1998), Photo: B. Jambulingam
We were informed that through the Mayiladuthurai-Kiliyanur bus we could reach Perunjeri. While waiting for bus, though we had time for having lunch, as I felt I would miss the bus, I thought of Buddha and nothing else came to my mind. The bus arrived and our journey continued. We started our field work in Thanjavur during morning after having breakfast. I did not think of my son or about our lunch. The bottle in which we had drinking water also became empty.
Perunjeri Buddha, Photo: B.Jambulingam


We got down at Perunjeri. There was a mandapa like structure in which a beautiful Buddha, who was called as Rishi by the locals, was found. The place and the surroundings were not maintained properly.   While I informed the local people that it was the Buddha statue, nobody accepted it as Buddha. They said that it was Rishi. We were also informed that no puja is held for the statue. I felt sad to see the place in which the Buddha was found was in neglected condition. After taking photograph we left that place. The happiness which I felt after seeing the Buddha, short-lived as I misplaced the bus ticket during our return travel, resulting in remitting fine to the checker in Mayiladuthurai Bus stand. Then, it was the time for the onward journey. It was around 4.00 p.m. After getting down from the bus, my son who accompanied me, found missing.  I started searching him. He was sitting in a place. He was so tired. He said that it was not possible for him even to move. At that time only it came to my mind that we had neither brunch nor lunch. My eagerness in seeing the Buddha resulted forgetting even meals and my son. After having some meals in Mayiladuthurai, the thought about our next place came to my mind. Before returning to Thanjavur via Kumbakonam we saw the Buddha of Manampadi.  We shall discuss about our trip to Ilanthurai and Manampadi at another occasion.

March 2010
During my field trip to Kutthalam, Pandanallur and Manampadi I went to see the Buddha of Perunjeri. As soon as I got down from the bus, local people came. Some of them identified me and talked about my earlier trips. They said that the information which I shared with them during my earlier field study works helped them very much. They also said that now they worship the statue as Buddha and conduct pujas. On the forehead of sacred ash and kumkum were found. The place and the temple which was not maintained properly, was found well during that trip for which I felt happy and returned home with utmost satisfaction.

My thanks are due to Dr. Kudavayil Balasubramanian who gave information about the Buddha, my friend Dr. Balachandran and my elder son Bharath who accompanied me. I also convey my thanks to Mr. Abadnatha Sahaya Kurukkal, Mr. Kumar and Mr. Singaravelu who helped me during my field study.  
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


PREACHING OF BUDDHA
Manopubbangama dhamma manosettha manomaya
Manasa ce pasannena bhasati va karoti va 
Tato nam sukhamanveti chaya'va anapayini.


GOOD BEGETS GOOD
Mind is the forerunner of (all good) states. Mind is chief; mind-made are they. If one speaks or acts with pure mind, because of that, happiness  follows one, even as one's shadow that never leaves. -The Dhammapada 2

Story
Mattakundali, the only son of a stingy millionaire, was suffering from jaundice and was on the verge of death because his father would not consult a physician lest some part of his money should have to be spent. The Buddha, perceiving with His Divine Eye the sad plight of the dying boy, appeared before him. Seeing the Buddha, he was pleased, and, dying with a pure heart, full of faith in the Buddha was born in a heavenly state. 
 (The Dhammapada, Narada Thera, The Corporate Body of the Buddha Educational Foundation, Taiwan, ROC, 1993)

Comments

  1. In your search for the imprints of Buddhism, forgetting a brunch or lunch is ok. But in your quest, you even forgotten about your son.Certainly this shows your affection and love on Lord Buddha

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment